Welcome To Dr. Kantardzic's Website
Dr. Mehmed M. Kantardzic
J. B. Speed School of Engineering
University of Louisville
Louisville, Kentucky 40292
Dr. Mehmed Kantardzic received his PhD in Computer Science in 1980, MS in Computer Science in 1976,
and BS in Electrical Engineering in1972, all from the University of Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina,
He served as an Assistant, and Associate Professor at the University of Sarajevo, and later as Associate
and since 2004 Full Professor the University of Louisville. Currently, he is the Director of the Data Mining
Lab as well as the Director of CECS Graduate Studies at the CECS Department. His research focuses on
data mining & knowledge discovery, machine learning, soft computing, click fraud detection and prevention,
concept drift in streaming data, and distributed intelligent systems. Dr. Kantardzic is the author of six
books including the textbook: "Data Mining: Concepts, Models, Methods, and Algorithms" (John Wiley, second edition, 2011)
which is accepted for data mining courses at more than hundred universities in USA and abroad. He is the author
of over 40 peer-reviewed journal publications, 20 book chapters, and over 200 reviewed articles in the proceedings
of international conferences. His recent research projects are supported by NSF, KSTC, US Treasury Department, U.S. Army,
and NASA. Dr. Kantardzic was selected as Fulbright Specialist in Information Technology in 2012.
Among his accolades are a University of Louisville Distinguished Service Award (2008), numerous Outstanding, Best,
and Honorable Mention Awards for his research papers (2012, -09, -07, -05, -03), and several Faculty Favorite
and Distinguished Teaching Awards (2012, -11, -07, -04). Dr. Kantardzic has served on the Editorial Boards for
several international journals, and he is currently Associate Editor for WIREs Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery Journal.
He was a reviewer and panel member for NSF, the Austrian Science Foundation (ASF), the Canadian Research Council (NSERC),
Croatian UKF Fund, RAND NPRP and Norman Hackerman Advanced Research Program (NHARP). He was invited keynote speaker at
conferences in USA, Mexico, Bosnia, Egypt, Japan, and Algeria, and his service activities include a General Chair or Program
Chair assignments for several international conferences including HICSS'16, INSS-BigData'15, IEEE ICAT'13, ICMLA'09,
IEEE ISSPIT'08, and WSIPT'07
Read More >>>
Recent and/or Significant Pubilcations
- Singh Sethi, T., Kantardzic, M. M., Hu H., A Grid Density Based Framework for Classifying Streaming Data in the Presence of Concept Drift, Journal of Intelligent Information Systems, Springer, February 2016, Volume 46, Issue 1, pp 179-211.
- Chamila Walgampaya, Mehmed Kantardzic, Brent Wenerstrom, Duplicate Detection in Pay-Per-Click Streams using Temporal Stateful Bloom Filters, International Journal of Data Analysis Techniques and Strategies (IJDATS), Vol. 4, No. 4, December 2012, pp. 340-377.
- Brent Wenerstrom, Mehmed Kantardzic, ReClose: Web Page Summarization Combining Summary Techniques, International Journal of Web Information Systems (IJWIS), Vol. 7, No. 4, 2011, pp. 333-359
- Mehmed Kantardzic, Brent Wenerstrom, Chamila Walgampaya, Sean Higgins, Darren King, Click Fraud Detection Using Time and Space Contextual Information, International Journal on WWW/Internet, Vol. 8, No. 2, 2011, pp. 101-117.
- M. Kantardzic, "Data Mining: Concepts, Models, Methods, and Algorithms", the textbook, IEEE Press & John Wiley, (First edition, November 2002; Second Edition, August 2011)
- Chamila Walgampaya, Mehmed Kantardzic, Roman Yampolskiy, Evidence Fusion For Real Time Click Fraud Detection And Prevention, In "Intelligent Automation and Systems Engineering", Eds.: Sio-long Ao et al., Springer, 2011, ISBN 978-1-4614-0373-9, pp. 1-15.
- Kantardzic Mehmed, Sadeghian Pedram, Fractal Analysis of Semantically Distributed Data, International Journal of General Systems, Volume 38, Number 1, January 2009, pp. 73-91
- Fuller R., Kantardzic M., Distributed Monitoring of Frequent Items, Transactions of Machine Learning and Data Mining, Vol. 1, No. 2, 2008, pp. 67-82.
- Kantardzic, M., Sadeghian, P., Sheta, W., Spatial Navigation Assistance System for Large Virtual Environments: The Data Mining Approach, In G. Felici & C. Vercellis (Eds.), Mathematical Methods for Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, Springer, 2008, pp. 265-283.
- M. Kantardzic, J. Zurada, New Generation of Data Mining Applications, IEEE Press and John Wiley, February 2005.
- A. S. Elmaghraby, A. Kumar, M. Kantardzic, M. G. Mostafa, Bandwidth Allocation in a Dynamic Environment Using a Variable Pricing Policy, Electronic Commerce Research, Vol. 5, 2005, pp. 203-227.
Read More >>>
- Microsoft Azure Educator Grant Award, February 2016.
- Finalist Team in LinkedIn Economic Graph Challenge, April 2015, (Team Leader).
- Second edition of the textbook: "Data Mining: Concepts, Models, Methods, and Algorithms" (John Willey, 2011), which is translated into Chinese by Xinhua (in 2013), is selected to be published in the series: "Foreign Computer Science Classic Textbooks"
- Second edition of the textbook: "Data Mining: Concepts, Models, Methods, and Algorithms" (John Willey, 2011) is selected in Japan as one of the Top 100 Bestsellers in Engineering and Technology for 2011 (www.wiley.co.jp/electronic/engineering_top100_201206.xls)
- IEEE Institute Magazine, selected second edition of the textbook: "Data Mining: Concepts, Models, Methods, and Algorithms" (John Willey, 2011) and reviewed as a book of interest in the June 2012 issue ( http://theinstitute.ieee.org/ns/quarterly_issues/tijun12.pdf )
- Selected for the Fulbright Specialists in Information Technology, Council for International Exchange of Scholars (CIES), Institute for International Education (IIE), November 2012, (2012-2017). Successfully completed Fulbright Specialist Program at SSST University in Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina, April - June 2013.
- Recognized as America's Top Faculty by Faculty Row, 06/2014.
- The paper "False Alarm Removal in the Twitter-Based Flu Outbreak Detection" was nominated for the Best Paper Award at the MDA'13 conference, New York, July 2013.
- 2011-2012 Faculty Favorite: An Outstanding Professor Nominated by Students, September 2012.
- The Best Paper Award for the paper: "Efficiently Maintaining the Performance of an Ensemble Classifier in Streaming Data" presented at the 2012 International Conference on Convergence and Hybrid Information Technology - ICHIT 2012, Daejeon, Korea, August 2012.
- 2010-2011 Faculty Favorite: An Outstanding Professor Nominated by students, September 2011.
- The Outstanding Paper Award for the paper: "Time and Space Contextual Information Improves Click Quality Estimation" at the International Conference e-Commerce 2009, Algarve, Portugal, June 2009.
- Distinguish Service Award for 2008, April 2008.
- The Best Paper Award for the paper: "Indicators of Network-wide Traffic Dynamics: Random Matrix Theory Approach" presented at the 2007 International Conference on Computer Applications in Industry and Engineering, San Francisco, CA, November 2007.
- 2005-2007 Student-Nominated Faculty Favorites
- Best Paper Award: "Efficiently Maintaining the Performance of an Ensemble Classifier in Streaming Data," at the International Conference on Convergence and Hybrid Information Technology - ICHIT 2012, Daejeon, Korea, August 23, 2012.
- Faculty Favorite: Outstanding Professor nominated by University of Louisville students, September 2011.
- Outstanding Paper Award: "Time and Space Contextual Information Improves Click Quality Estimation" at the International Conference e-Commerce 2009, Algarve, Portugal, June 2009.
- Distinguished Service Award, April 2008.
- Faculty Favorite: Outstanding Professor nominated by University of Louisville students, 2005 and 2007.
- Best Paper Award: "indicators of Network-wide Traffic Dynamics: Random Matrix Theory Approach" presented at the 2007 International Conference on Computer Applications in Industry and Engineering, San Francisco, CA, November 2007.
- Best Paper Honorable Mention Award: “Link
Analysis Tools for Intelligence and Counterterrorism” at the
2005 International Conference on Intelligence and Security Informatics,
Atlanta, GA, May 2005.
- Best Paper Award: “Efficient Implementation
of Strong Negative Associations Rules” at the 2003 International
Conference on Machine Learning and Applications, Los Angeles, CA,
- Distinguish Teaching Award Nominee in 2004.
- Recognized in the Who’s Who Among America’s Teachers,
2002 and 2005.
Read More >>>
Copyright ©2005 Louisville.edu